Thursday, July 26, 2012

20 Minutes

I have 20 minutes (probably) until E wakes up from his nap.

And I'm excited!

Why?

Because for one, rescuing a sweet baby from a crib is adorable!

And two - I actually think I have the tiniest clue about E's routine!!


New moms, I think you can relate.  For weeks I've felt completely clueless about the baby-side of having a baby.  (Hang with me for a minute.  I know that sounded bonkers.)  I've watched friends and family members do so well at holding him or calming him.  I have one friend who seems to have the "magic touch."  More than once I watched somebody and thought, "I should have known that.  Why didn't I know that??"

That's a lot of pressure, especially when you want to be the best mom ever.

So, I'm happy to say that I'm feeling more confident.  I feel like I know a bit more about why he's crying or when he's sleepy or hungry.

Or both.  Gosh, it can be scary when it's both...

Now, some things I've learned about taking care of my sweet little man:

1)  Always have the burp cloth ready.  Spit up does not believe in an early warning system.  That's for tornadoes, people.
That onesie on my shoulder?  Yeah.  That's standing in as a burp cloth since there were none within reach.


2) My baby boy practices sleep fake-outs.  He's sneaky like that.  You think he's asleep and has been for 20 minutes.  So you go to bed relieved to have successfully swaddled the boy into bliss.  Then he screams or cries or just generally lets you know that he's decided bedtime is for grown-ups.

He can be so determined, can't he?

3)  Following #2 -  At night, I know now that he will sleep eventually.  I don't despair because I know that even if it's in two hours or in two minutes, E will fall asleep.
*No sleep is promised during the day. True that.

4)  Any bad day or fussy moment is made better by his cute little face.
"Are you really taking my picture again?" Yes.  So look happy about it.

Peace out.  I still have ten minutes.

Maybe.

Signed,
Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment