Sunday, January 26, 2014

E's First Haircut

Yesterday, Tim and I took Emmitt for his first haircut.  It wasn't that his hair was super long or unruly, it was just getting to the point that it needed to get cleaned up.
This picture was take a couple weeks ago.  His hair is curling around his ears and long on the back of his neck.
This picture above is the best "before" picture I have.  It turns out in all of our planning of this sacred, life-stage moment, I forgot to take a couple pictures before we actually had it cut.  Oh, well.  Learning curve and all.

Now, if you've never seen someone give a small child a haircut (which is probably everyone without kids), then get ready.  The stylist, Liz, had to dance all around him.  Emmitt would look left, look right.  He would try to see what she was doing, try to find the blow dryer that started in the booth behind him.  And every time he moved, I panicked.  Liz, however, is a pro.  She just moved right along with him.  After a couple of unexpected movements from E, and witnessing how awesome Liz was at following him, I stopped trying to keep him still.

The beginning of the process.  He's strapped in this chair, wearing a giant "bib," and trying to figure out why she keeps spraying his head with water. 

Spray bottle = not cool when it's not under his control

Beginning to snip.  The request we made was, "Clean up as much as you can, but we're just really worried about the neckline." 
"Excuse me, but what's over there?"

"Dad, why is she still touching me?"

Oh, look over there!

I did get called in to help when the trimmer appeared.  That part was the hardest for him to sit through.

I just pointed out all the angry birds on his cape or, in desperation, made the trimmed hair bounce around.  As crazy as that last move sounds, it was the most effective.

All done!  So handsome.  
We were so proud of the little guy.  (And yes, I did get a small collection of trimmings for his baby book.)  What could have been a horribly traumatizing 10 minutes went so well.  I credit a lot of that to the stylist working with him.  And at the end of the whole ordeal, they gave him a slinky.  How fun!

So, there's E's first haircut.  Thanks for following along! 

Until next time,

Rookie Mom


P.S.  If you're following along with my year of nonfiction, here's the review I wrote on nonfiction book #2.  Enjoy! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/821146177

No comments:

Post a Comment